29 May 2009
News and Information on Product Lifecycle Management
Brought to you by CIMdata, Inc. - www.cimdata.com
Retail Price: US $2695
The NC Market Assessment Report provides the only comprehensive market analysis of the worldwide NC software and related services marketplace available in the industry. It includes extensive information on the market size, trends and segmentation, authoritative rankings of NC software vendors, and results of targeted market surveys. Individual vendors are discussed. The Market Assessment Report also contains more than 70 figures and is updated on an annual basis. With each update, the precision of the estimates is increased and the reports are expanded to include additional market-related material. This continuous improvement provides added value to the user. The first report Version 1, was issued in 1Q94. Additional information is provided in each update. Version 18 is now available.
This report can also be purchased separately or as part of the CIMdata Numerical Control (NC) Service.
CIMdata is now featuring online polls with real time reporting on our web site at http://www.cimdata.com/polls/polls.html. Each week the results of the previous poll will be included in the CIMdata PLM Industry Summary to help you stay on top of trends in the PLM industry.
Take a moment to visit the site and vote on our current poll.
The results for the last opinion poll are:
CIMdata’s April survey looked at the need for PLM-related analytics. This has been an area of interest for the past two or three years, and the PLM solution providers are building more analytics capabilities into their product suites. The results of the poll provide some insight as to the need and potential use of PLM analytics. The first question asked whether companies develop and/or use PLM analytics. The responses were nearly evenly split—53% indicated use and 47% said they were not using analytics. This reflects the state of maturity in that while analytics are become more important, many companies have not put in place the solutions and mechanisms to enable the capture and use of them. Even when some analytics are available, users may not have access to them in a manner that encourages use. We believe that this will change over time as analytics become more embedded in the product development and management lifecycle.
When asked if PLM analytics would be helpful, 43% responded “definitely” and another 43% said “maybe.” Only 14% of responders indicated that they didn’t know, or that analytics would not be useful. This large positive response reinforces our thinking that PLM analytics is becoming an important part of PLM-related information, and that the need will continue to grow. Who will use PLM analytics? Responses to the poll indicated that 35% think engineers and designers need analytics to help them perform their work. Another 42% of respondees said that product / program development managers need analytics. Combined (77%) these responses reflect a strong need by those working directly within the product development processes for PLM-related analytics to help them work better. Others for whom it was felt that analytics could be beneficial are operational staff, e.g., VP of Engineering, (15% of responses) and corporate management (8% of responses). The responses reflect that persons at all levels of the enterprise can use PLM analytics; however, each will have different needs and will use different analytics within their work.
When asked about PLM analytics benefits, responses were relatively evenly distributed. Almost 18% indicated that analytics related to program status would be helpful, and more than 34% indicated that analytics related to problem areas are needed. Another 27% indicated that one of the major benefits would be to help better understand how product decisions can impact corporate performance. Almost 15% indicated that analytics would help speed the decision-making process and about 6% indicated there could be other benefits. These responses indicate that using PLM analytics can provide benefits in many areas of product development. As PLM analytics become more widely-used, we expect the benefits to increase both to help individual productivity as well as improve corporate performance.
NOTE: The results of these polls are anecdotal, not scientific.
If you have a suggestion for a poll you'd like to see contact us at email@example.com.
See how CIMdata Consulting can work with your organization to improve your PLM strategy.
Read select reports online and see a sample of what CIMdata research can do for your company.
View more newsletters from CIMdata in our searchable online archive.
Tell us what you think of the CIMdata Newsletter. Contact the Editor Christine Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CIMdata, Inc. is committed to your privacy. Your personal information will never be sold or shared outside of CIMdata without your express permission.